Rohit Kumar's Views

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Posts Tagged ‘Lahore High Court

The man who filed case against Rehman Malik

leave a comment »

By Tariq Butt

ISLAMABAD: New York-based businessman Syed Raza says Rehman Malik and some other Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) officials had raided his Lahore residence and implicated him and his close relatives in a false visa racket and drug cases in 1994 as a set up in collusion with his adversaries in the United States.

His brother, Hashim Raza, also living in New York, is the complainant in a reference sponsored by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) against Rehman Malik and his confidant Sajjad Haider in which both had been sentenced to three year terms in absentia by an accountability court the which sentence was upheld by the Lahore High Court (LHC) on May 17. But they were instantly pardoned by President Asif Ali Zardari. However, the corruption reference, accusing Malik and Haider of taking away Rs700,000 in cash, American passports and 20 tolas of gold from Raza Shah’s residence, is pending disposal in a Rawalpindi accountability court.

“I am prepared to pay any amount of fee to a lawyer to get the accused punished for the hell I and my family had faced at their hands,” Raza Shah, 65, told The News in a fairly lengthy telephonic conversation from New York.

He himself wants to pursue the case and would not send the complainant, Hashim, to Pakistan saying that the boy was not shrewd enough to deal with such tricky matters. “I, Hashim and my son were tortured by the FIA raiders by holding us incommunicado for many days,” he charged.

Recalling the episode, he said that his wife insisted to hold the marriage ceremony of their son in Pakistan in August 1994. He said although he was too busy in New York, he had to come to Pakistan in connection with the wedding.

“On Aug 21, 1994, when I landed in Germany on my way to Lahore from New York, Rehman Malik and others raided my house in Lahore. They had come from Islamabad and stayed in a five-star hotel before carrying out the raid,” he said.

Raza Shah said when he landed at the Lahore airport, the FIA personnel picked him up from the stairs of the plane. “For some time, I thought I have been kidnapped. But I realized that I have been taken into custody by the FIA only when I was taken to its office at the Temple Road. I was made to sit the whole night despite the fact that my name did not appear in any complaint.”

He said that Rehman Malik and others then planted US visa stickers and green cards on his son and brother and charged that they belonged to a gang. “The FIA personnel also got a statement scribbled in Urdu signed by my son, 21, who did not even read or write the language for having been born and brought up in New York.”

Raza Shah said when he was arrested from the Lahore airport and brought to the FIA office, he did not know that his brother and son had already been taken into custody and their house had been raided by the FIA. “I had come to Pakistan after three and a half years. I had been in the United States for the last 27 years.” At the FIA centre, he said, Sajjad Haider came to investigate him.

He added that as he was passing through a corridor of the office, he happened to see one Haji Ramzan, who had been sentenced to five years on drug charges in the United States but had since been released and deported to Pakistan.

“Since I knew him during his days in New York, I shook hands with him there. At this, the FIA personnel accused me of having been involved in the drug business as well.” Raza Shah said he was also later shifted to Rawalpindi where another case was registered by the FIA against him. He said when all these cases proved false, he got a case registered against Rehman Malik and Sajjad Haider in 1997 in the name of his brother Hashim and came back to New York.

He said that for two years or so, he pursued the cases lodged against him and his relatives and finally got disentangled. He said he was also kept in Mohmand Agency for 45 days. At the time, he had to file a habeas corpus petition in the Lahore High Court as well.

Raza Shah said the raid was conducted on the charge that he and his family had indulged in fake visa business on the instigation of his adversaries in New York. But the raiders did not even know the name of his son and kept asking where Tipu was during the search of the house whereas the boy’s name was Ahmed Ali Rizvi, he said adding that they came to know about it only after seizing his American passport.

He said the raiders took away Hashim and Ahmed and the valuables from his residence. “When my wife asked for a receipt of the items seized, they refused to give anything in writing.”

The case that Syed Raza got registered against Rehman Malik and Sajjad Haider was transferred from the FIA to the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in 2003. It is pending disposal in a Rawalpindi accountability court. A source close to Interior Minister A Rehman Malik rejected all charges against the minister as fabricated and politically motivated. He said the then government instituted several cases against PPP leaders including Malik.

He said the purpose was just to harass them and force them to stay out of the country. He said various individuals and institutions were used by the then rules to implicate Malik in false cases.

Death row inmate will enjoy marital bliss: LHC

leave a comment »

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Wednesday allowed a girl to marry her fiancé who is currently a death row inmate at the Kot Lakhpat Jail. The court also ordered the Kot Lakhpat jail superintendent to make arrangements for the marriage to take place inside the prison.

Justice Ijaz Ahmed Chaudhry, while issuing the orders, observed that the petitioner Laiba Saher could marry the inmate, but did not allow her to take a wedding band inside the jail. He also directed the superintendent to arrange for a marriage registrar (nikha khawan) to conduct the marriage.

Laiba, a resident of Samanabad, submitted that she was engaged to Muhammad Attique in her childhood, but now her fiancé had been awarded the death sentence in a case was incarcerated at the Kot Lakhpat Jail. She further submitted that she wanted to enter into a marriage contract with Attique but the jail authorities were not allowing her to do so. She added that it was her fundamental right to get married and a prisoner also enjoyed the same right.

The jail superintendent submitted a report, on the court’s directions, stating that Attique was a hardened and desperate criminal and had been awarded the death sentence in a case and more than 10 cases of heinous crimes such as kidnapping for ransom and murder were still pending against him in various courts. He added that Pakistan prison rules did not carry any provision for arrangements of a prisoner’s marriage inside the jail premises.

LHC CJ takes suo motu notice of rape of seven minors in Daska

leave a comment »

LAHORE: Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khawaja Muhammad Sharif took suo motu notice of the abduction and rape of seven girls and boys in Daska, directing the Sialkot district police officer (DPO) to appear in court in this regard on May 6. The chief justice took the suo motu notice on a news item, saying “The media has flashed the plight of disgruntled minor girls and boys who became victims of rape in Daska during the last one and a half moth. Out of them, two girls have expired, while two others are still fighting for life in two hospitals in Lahore.” The chief justice also directed the Punjab advocate general to appear for assistance in the case. Separately, a private TV channel reported that police have apprehended the rapist in Daska. Police sources disclosed the man had confessed to raping around 76 girls. The name of the man has not been disclosed, the channel said.

Written by rohitkumarsviews

May 5, 2010 at 7:07 am

LHC CJ takes suo motu notice of rape of seven minors in Daska

leave a comment »

LAHORE: Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khawaja Muhammad Sharif took suo motu notice of the abduction and rape of seven girls and boys in Daska, directing the Sialkot district police officer (DPO) to appear in court in this regard on May 6. The chief justice took the suo motu notice on a news item, saying “The media has flashed the plight of disgruntled minor girls and boys who became victims of rape in Daska during the last one and a half moth. Out of them, two girls have expired, while two others are still fighting for life in two hospitals in Lahore.” The chief justice also directed the Punjab advocate general to appear for assistance in the case. Separately, a private TV channel reported that police have apprehended the rapist in Daska. Police sources disclosed the man had confessed to raping around 76 girls. The name of the man has not been disclosed, the channel said.

Written by rohitkumarsviews

May 5, 2010 at 7:07 am